Garden of the Confederate Home, 62 Broad Street
This most recent project was added in 2009. The Confederate Home has served thousands of women for over a century. Established in 1867 as a home for mothers, widows, and daughters of Confederate soldiers and later used as a college from 1900-1923, the building and courtyard are nearly hidden from passersby. For many years the garden was neglected. After Hurricane Hugo, it began to be reshaped through the guidance of Jack and Mary Hopkins who added the fountain as the garden’s focal point. The Garden Club of Charleston is now taking on the maintenance of this historic site that still serves to aid women.