The Gateway Walk, Archdale Street
The Club’s first civic project was the dream of Mrs. C. P. McGowan, president from 1928 to 1930, after visiting a peaceful garden in Paris. Landscape architect Loutrel Briggs designed the original walk which is named for the ten wrought iron gates along its course through the city.
The walk begins at the gates of St. John’s Lutheran Church on Archdale Street, crosses King Street and Meeting Street, and concludes at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church. It opened in 1930 to coincide with the 250th anniversary of the founding of Charleston. The club maintains the walk with proceeds from its fundraising projects.