Heyward-Washington Garden

Heyward-Washington Garden

Heyward-Washington Garden, 87 Church Street

Springtime at the Heyward-Washington GardenThe Heyward-Washington House, built in 1772, is named for the builder, Daniel Heyward, and famous guest, President George Washington. The property was purchased by the Charleston Museum in 1929 and it became Charleston’s first house museum.   Since 1941, The Garden Club of Charleston has maintained the garden, which is designed as a typical in Charleston during the late 18th century featuring a knot garden and plants authentic to the period.Garden club members work in the Heyward-Washington Garden

Philip Simmons Memorial Garden

Philip Simmons Memorial Garden

Philip Simmons Memorial Garden, Anson Street

simmons2The Garden Club of Charleston was given the wonderful opportunity of helping to maintain and preserve the Philip Simmons Memorial Garden beginning in 2014.

This garden was a gift from Spoleto Festival USA to the Philip Simmons Foundation.  It is located behind the St. John’s  Reformed Church on Anson Street .  The plants are topiaries designed by Pearl Fryar and is commonly referred to as the “heart garden”.  It is a beautiful oasis in the  heart of Charleston.

Garden of the Confederate Home

Garden of the Confederate Home, 62 Broad Street

confederategardenThis most recent project was added in 2009. The Confederate Home has served thousands of women for over a century. Established in 1867 as a home for mothers, widows, and daughters of Confederate soldiers and later used as a college from 1900-1923, the building and courtyard are nearly hidden from passersby. For many years the garden was neglected. After Hurricane Hugo, it began to be reshaped through the guidance of Jack and Mary Hopkins who added the fountain as the garden’s focal point. The Garden Club of Charleston is now taking on the maintenance of this historic site that still serves to aid women.

MUSC Healing Garden

healinggardenMUSC Healing Garden, 67 President Street

In 1997 the Medical University of South Carolina Institute of Psychiatry began a therapeutic gardening program for patients. The Garden Club of Charleston provides funds for plants and materials needed for this program that includes planting, sowing, digging, and other outdoor activities.

Museum Courtyard Garden

Museum Courtyard Garden, 360 Meeting Street

This small garden is located outside the Charleston Museum’s Board Room. It is an attractive enclosed space enjoyed by many who meet there. It was designed by Mary Hopkins, a member of The Garden Club of Charleston.

Gateway Walk

Gateway Walk

The Gateway Walk, Archdale Street

The Club’s first civic project was the dream of Mrs. C. P. McGowan, president from 1928 to 193The Gateway walk0, after visiting a peaceful garden in Paris.   Landscape architect Loutrel Briggs designed the original walk which is named for the ten wrought iron gates along its course through the city. Entrance to the Gateway Walk

The walk begins at the gates of St. John’s Lutheran Church on Archdale Street, crosses King Street and Meeting Street, and concludes at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church. It opened in 1930 to coincide with the 250th anniversary of the founding of Charleston. The club maintains the walk with proceeds from its fundraising projects.

Click here for the Gateway Walk MapGateway walk map

 

Joseph Manigault Garden

Joseph Manigault Garden

Joseph Manigault HouseJoseph Manigault Garden, 350 Meeting Street

Built in 1803, the grand Adam-style house was designed by Gabriel Manigault, a talented amateur architect, for his brother Joseph. The Charleston Museum purchased the house in 1933 and the Garden Club of South Carolina designated it as a project for restoration in 1947. The house opened to the public in 1949 and since that time The Garden Club of Charleston has maintained the large garden.

Manigault HouseEach year at the beginning of December,  Club members decorate the exterior of the Joseph Manigault House and also each room with flower arrangements for Christmas.